Tuesday, December 04, 2007

A tag and a little weirdness

I'm all excited-I got tagged today for the first time. I feel like a new kid picked for a team at recess. Thanks, Libby! Here goes, with seven things that make me weird:

1. I'm a compulsive list-maker. No, really. Well, THAT isn't weird-lots of people make lists. The weirdness is that I am fascinated by lists of things about things...not just To Do lists like normal people. In fact, I found this crazy website that is all about lists here: You should also check out

2. Along similar lines, I'm also a compulsive quiz-taker. I'm all about the self-discovery. Now that I stop and think about it, I think the greatest satisfaction comes when I take a quiz, and it tells me exactly something that I already knew about myself. I think I find it reassuring, that I'm self-aware. Don't ask me why I remotely find this important; it's just weird.

3. I have a collection of books that can most adequately described "juvenile fiction" from my childhood. Now, I consider myself to be a relatively sophisticated reader (after wading through 100 Years of Solitude, I think I'm amazing), but I can't begin to recap the level of pleasure attained from a perusal of any of my old Trixie Belden, Anne of Green Gables or Betsy-Tacy books. Oh, I say that I am collecting vintage children's literature, but I really know that it's one of my guilty pleasures. I escaped into those books as a child-when I was too tall and awkward for the school crowd's approval, Trixie understood and was good at being different. I always wanted to be a member of her club, and help her solve the local mysteries with her fabulous group of friends. And Anne Shirley! I wanted to marry Gilbert Blythe-I thought she was the luckiest girl in the world. Sigh. When I start feeling silly about it as an "adult", I remind myself that these books were written by grownups who imagined themselves away, too. And then I don't feel so bad...

4. I tried internet dating once, on a rebound from a relationship. My friend talked me into it. It was interesting, and kind of weird. The most fascinating experience I had was meeting a guy who I totally hit it off with in conversation one evening. Turns out, he was studying for the priesthood. I still have no idea what he was doing on a dating website, but I think he might have been experiencing some second thoughts about celibacy. It's too bad, because he was really cute, smart, funny, etc, etc. But the priesthood! I am a magnet for unavailable men. (Wasn't that J Lo in the Wedding Planner?)

5. Speaking of which, weird thing about me number five is that I used to be a wedding planner. I witnessed some of the most interesting and pathological family interactions that can possibly exist. People get just weird over weddings. For the record, I also saw some of the loveliest relationships ever.

6. I am the total oddball in my family. I come from an incredibly creative bunch who (incidentally this year) have decided to only exchange home-made gifts with each other. I have NEVER had so much Christmas stress before! My mom is an artist; my sister does wonders with things like scrapbooking and the like; dad is a carver/woodworker, and he always makes gifts anyhow. Even my brother-in-law is an amazing musician. Me, I can analyze things. :P I can talk to people. I can tell you all about a symphonic poem-in French. And I'm REALLY good at suturing wounds and reading X-rays. No kidding-I really am. However, I can't create a home-made gift to save my life! If anyone has suggestions, I'd be thrilled to entertain them. I follow directions well...

7. Like Dorie, I suffer from short-term memory loss. At least, it feels like I do. I find it confusing to be simultaneously a complete academic nut and a crazy blue fish who "just keeps swimming; swimming, swimming"...it's weird.

8. There are about 7 different areas between which I would have great difficulty choosing to pursue my education to a higher level. Among the choices are: biochemistry, fashion design, culinary arts, curriculum development for gifted students, and stage direction. Really, really, weird, huh?

1 comment:

Libby said...

Okay, #8? Not weird at all. I went from Journalism to Animal Science, to Cell & Molec. to law school. And what's next for me? I haven't a clue. :)