Thursday, November 22, 2007

For New Readers

If you are just finding my blog, I'm sure it's because I have recently found yours. I thought some of my older posts were a bit outdated, and my 100 + things posts a little ridiculous for a newcomer, so I have decided to put together a mini (less than) 100 things post to introduce myself to those who don't know me yet. Hi!

1. I am 36 years old, but I have never had someone guess my age correctly. They always guess younger, and usually it's around 27-28. Which is how old I feel, so it's ok.

2. I was born in Michigan, grew up in Ohio, and am a total Midwest girl. This is because I appreciate the values and the friendliness. I also love the summers in the Great Lakes. Not so much the winters.

3. On the other hand, I have a great big worldview compared to a lot of the Midwesterners I know. I think more about the general state of human affairs than the local high school football season. A LOT more.

4. I have lived on the Mid-Atlantic seaboard for five years. I am only just deciding that I like the D.C. area ok, but in my heart of hearts, I still love Chicago the best. Go Cubs! I dream of Michigan Avenue and a skyline overlooking gorgeous Lake Michigan.

5. I currently teach 7th grade Life Science in a pretty wealthy school district. I like life science, but since my scientific interests are largely related to humans, I get bored with a lot of the stuff I have to teach. Luckily for me, 12 and 13 year olds are never boring, whatever else they may be. This years' class is very high maintenance, which means that I come home exhausted most nights.

6. I'm currently single, I've been in true love just once, and though I am keeping my eyes open for Mr. Right, I'm not freaking out about it. I tend to like younger guys more than older ones, or even than ones who are my age. I'd love to have a family and raise kids, but for now I just live vicariously through my sister and her brood of five. They are awesome; there's no other word for them.

7. I am pretty tall, have medium brown hair and green eyes. As much as I wish I could say I am svelte, I'm not remotely, but I'm working on it. I think I'd have great legs, if I ever get there. They certainly are long enough-I can never find pants that fit right.

8. I love entertaining my friends more than doing anything else on the planet. I would love to learn to cook more like a true chef, without having to work in a restaurant. (I'd loathe the hours.) I just bought two Jacques Pépin dvd sets.

9. I have an amazing apartment. I am very blessed, though I can't have pets. I can't wait to decorate for Christmas.

10. I love gorgeous clothing more than I care to admit. I'm big on the quality over quantity philosophy. I'm a cashmere and champagne girl living on a cotton budget.

11. My favorite colors are periwinkle, creamy yellow and scarlet, but not together. I love black toile, and I want to redecorate my living room in dark brown with aqua accents.

12. If I had a dog, it would be either a Westie or a Scottish terrier named Chandler. That's right, after the guy on Friends. If I had both, one would be named Joey.

13. I think Shalom Harlow is the most exotically gorgeous woman alive. When the chunky highlights trend first came out, I put white-blond streaks in my hair modeled after a photo shoot she had in Vogue. It was an awesome look for me, but it killed my hair's health. I love that she's doing the ads for Tiffany & Co. right now.

14. I collect the Way I See It blips off the Starbucks cups, but not indiscriminately. Believe it or not, there are some pretty profound things on those cups. And some not so profound things, too. They hang on my fridge.

15. I obsess over finding the exactly appropriate word to describe things. I'm sure there's a name for this disease, and I'm sure that somewhere, there's a job doing this where people actually appreciate it. If you know of one, please share.

16. I have a mild form of dyslexia that makes me mix up letters in words. This is ironic considering that I also am OCD about spelling things correctly.

17. I avoid collecting things that need to be dusted, since I loathe dusting. Things I sort-of collect are: postcards, vintage children's fiction, Japanese tea dishes, perfume, Limoges boxes (I know this is an exception to the dusting rule, but they are awesome. I only collect the ones I absolutely adore.), cookbooks, museum art magnets, German glass-blown Christmas ornaments, and vintage magazine art. I have *some* roosters in my kitchen, but I refuse to collect them. I can just SEE the disaster that would erupt. Yikes.

18. I am a recovering procrastinator. By the grace of God, I will not live my life under the pressure of missed deadlines.

19. I can be very charming and funny, but only if people give me a chance to be. Usually they think I'm very intellectual and serious. This is not remotely true, but I apparently haven't figured out how to change the impression I make. They figure it out sooner or later as they get to know me.

20. I love music more than almost anything in the world. My iTunes has about half of my cd collection in it, and I am up to 3, 178 songs.

That's it for now. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: